Thursday, September 24, 2009

One Day as SalesMan

My mind always aspires to become an HR profession,but its really tough to get a HR job in this recession.There are many openings in the market for Sales/Marketing roles.For a long time i never attended nor showed interest in any sales jobs.Many people advised me to take a sales job temporary and then look out for the job i wanted.

So one day i thought,will give a try for sales job and check whether it will suit me.I attended the interview for sales executive role in a Advertising-Sales organization.The organization is India's leading Directional media company,connecting buyers and sellers through information products and services - yellow pages,white pages directories,classified media,tele-information services,online and mobile media.

I cleared 3 rounds of interview and was asked to join the company.The job involves getting clients for the organization.The clients are people who run a business on their own and wants to advertise,retain existing customers,gain new customers etc.Call customers, fix an appointment,meet them,close the business deal,this is how the job goes on.Its a non-Ac office that had a normal setting,a cabin for each one and a phone,no computers for any,all have to enter the information and data manually in a form.

I joined the company on the said date and time.9Am to 6.30PM was the office timing.The dress code is formal wearing with a tie daily.I reached office at 8.45Am and was waiting in the reception to meet the branch manager. Then i was asked to assemble for the praying meeting.Daily they used to start the day with a prayer,followed by appreciation of the people who have got good business to the company the previous day.

The manager introduced me to the employees.I spoke few words to the crowd and introduced myself to them.Then a girl came and stood in the middle of the crowd and shouted GO,others shouted GETIT,they were telling their slogan and greeted good morning to each other and started their work.All were new to me,their work culture was little different.Their work environment and culture was completely opposite to that of the ITES company i worked before.But i liked the way they started off their day,encouraging themselves each other for performing well.

I had a meet with the manager in his room,were he was inducting me about the company,the job role,incentive program,growth opportunities etc.Then i was introduced to the sales manager.She too inducted me about the job role and the business concept. I was put in team ,which had 4 people including me ,i had to report to District sales manager who was leading the team.

He explained how everything goes on in the team and activities that i should carry on in the job role.The manager had trouble speaking in English to me,so i started speaking in Tamil to him ,to make him comfortable explaining things to me.I was reading few forms and directories for sometime,then the teamlead asked me to come with him for the field work.

He asked me to take my bike.I started driving to places he said.We both started at 11Am in the morning,till 7PM in the evening i was in driving.I had to put petrol for 200Rs,no petrol allowance was provided to me by the management.I was asked to take care of the expenses of my own from the salary.

The manager asked me to observe the activities that he does when meeting the clients. We went to nearly 12 companies,the manager had not fixed any appointment with any of the customers and he just walked in to the company for business.None of the companies gave business on that day.Some people even chased us out.When a sales person ring our home door bell ,we used to ask them leave the place ,saying we dont need the product,the same was experienced by me on that day.

At 6.30PM ,we met with an accident,a biker dashed us with full speed,wherein i got injuries in my leg and hands.I had blood clot in my right leg and was suffering with pain.My bike was damaged in the front part.Nothing happened to the manager.After that the manager asked me to drop him in the office and leave home.I was driving with pain and somehow reached office.

I went and met the sales manager,she asked me how was the day,i dint say her anything that happened,told her it was fine.Then she asked me to leave home.I was very tired and had no strength,suffered with pain throughout my body.I reached home by 9PM and went to doctor for treatment.It was one of the worst day in my life,wherein i was asked to leave a place by someone,was roaming in bike the whole day, met with accident and suffered injuries.

I was not comfortable with the work environment,employees,work culture,the way they approach the customers etc.I joined the company with a feeling ,it would be B-B marketing,but it was completely B-C marketing.Sales career needs lots of patience,willingness to travel.That one day made me never turn to a sales job any more in life.I really wonder seeing people who have taken a sales role.Some people do sales with passion and survive in the field for long time but not all.Many take sales role for some time and at a certain stage,they think of changing their career.

I am again on my path for searching the job i wanted ,i am confident that one day i will land in the job i wished.Its not far.

No comments:

Post a Comment